About the Project
The Richard A. and Susan F. Smith Center will:
- Promote a more integrated campus through the creation of indoor, informal, and formal gathering spaces that bring together all members of the Harvard community;
- Be a destination for social, cultural, and intellectual life, and will welcome undergraduate and graduate students, faculty and staff; affiliates of all of Harvard’s schools; and visitors to Harvard;
- Provide flexible and sustainable spaces that permit a wide-range of uses including relaxation, eating and gathering, study areas, performance and display facilities for the arts, and meeting areas;
- Develop the existing one-stop shop for the delivery of essential services for faculty, staff, and student (both graduate and undergraduate);
- Establish a welcoming and vibrant entrance to Harvard University for visitors, local community members, and current and prospective affiliates of Harvard;
- Work with the design of the existing building to restore and modify Sert’s architecture, and further contribute to the dynamic urban environment of Harvard Square and Cambridge.